• Rocky Mountain House 403.845.4880 or info(at)rockymotorvehicles.ca

NOTICE: Rocky Motor Vehicle is operating as business as usual, so no appointments are necessary. Please wear a mask.

Vehicle Services

Vehicle Services Available:

  • New Vehicle Registration
  • Renewals
  • Fleet Renewals
  • Commercial Plate
  • Disabled Placards
  • Transfer
  • Vehicle Information Report
  • Intransits
  • Personalized Plates
  • Veteran Plates
  • Ham radio Plates
  • Residency Requirements for Registration

Steps to Register a New Vehicle

  1. Obtain insurance (Pink Card) from your insurance company. You may have it faxed to our office (403) 845-6251.
  2. Obtain an ORIGINAL/CARBON COPY bill of sale or lease agreement from the seller of the vehicle. This document proves that you own the vehicle. Due to government regulations we must register the vehicle under the name(s) listed on the bill of sale.
  3. If two or more people are on the bill of sale or lease agreement and only one person is able to be present at the time of registration; an authorization form is available for the person(s) who are not present to give consent to the person(s) that are present permission to register the vehicle on their behalf.

    Form: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/REG0169.pdf

    Or contact our office and we can e-mail or fax you the consent form.

Transferring a Plate

Documents that you must submit:

  • Original Bill of sale or lease agreement
  • Proof of Identity (Driver's License)
  • Insurance Proof (Name(s) on insurance must match name(s) vehicle is to be registered in.

If Two or more people are on the bill of sale or lease agreement and only one person is able to be present at the time of registration, an Authorization Form is required: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/mv/REG0169.pdf

Vehicle Information Report

A Vehicle Information Report may be very useful when buying a used car. This report can help you make a decision based on the history of the vehicle, and give you valuable information such as:

  1. When it was first registered in Alberta
  2. The status of the vehicle (written-off, salvaged, active)
  3. Where it has been registered in Alberta
  4. How many times it has been registered to a new owner in Alberta
  5. Vehicle description
  6. Odometer reading (if available)
  7. Number of liens registered to the vehicle but not any specific lien information

Does not apply to vehicles coming from a province other than Alberta

(To obtain specific lien information, a lien search must be submitted)


Registration renewal dates are based on the first letter of your last name. See Renewal chart below.

To renew, you may present the previous registration documents (original, photocopy or electronic picture) in addition to proof of valid Alberta insurance and Alberta identification.

Rocky Motor Vehicles processes the following vehicle renewals types - all vehicle classes, including motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, trailers, farm, antique, personalized, commercial dealer, courier, fleet and taxi vehicles.

Alberta Licence Plate Renewal Schedule

To get the expiry month of your vehicle(s), select the first letter of your last name from the list below. Note that some names require the first two letters.

Last Name Begins with: Expiry Month
A, I, J, Ke, U, X,#*January
Av, Be, L, Sz, V, ZJuly
E, Gr, RAugust
F, Po, TSeptember
Me, O, WDecember


Out of Country Vehicle Registration:
For Information on Importing vehicles; http://www.riv.ca/

Residency Requirements for Registration

On July 17, 2006, residency requirements changed for vehicle registrations in Alberta.

If you are a new resident of Alberta, you must register your vehicle(s) and obtain an Alberta driver’s licence within 90 days of moving to the province, even if you travel outside Alberta during those 90 days.

If you are temporarily working in Alberta but are a legal resident of a jurisdiction outside Alberta, you may continue to use the valid registration and plates from your home jurisdiction up to a maximum of 183 days in a calendar year (January through December)

However, you must obtain an Alberta registration if your vehicle has been in Alberta over the 183 day limit. You must also have valid Alberta insurance on the vehicle.

If you are visiting Alberta, you may use your valid registration and plates (with valid insurance) from your home jurisdiction, provided you do not take up residency in Alberta. However, if you do take up Alberta residency, you must obtain Alberta registration and plates within 90 days.

If you are staying in Alberta as a full time student and attending an accredited institution or you are working here as part of a co-op program of study, you may use your valid registration and licence plates from your home jurisdiction.

You must also have valid insurance on the vehicle and the registration must contain your name (either exclusively or jointly with another individual(s)). You should also carry proof (letter) from the accredited institution verifying your full time student status for presentation to a law enforcement officer should it be required.

The above rules apply to private (non-commercial) vehicles only.

Steps For Your Out of Province Vehicle

Obtain Plates And Registration

  1. Purchase an inspection request form from our office.
    You will need to provide us with proof of ownership (Bill of Sale, previous registration, etc) and identification in order to complete the request.
  2. Get An Out of Province Inspection Done
    Make arrangements to have your vehicle inspected by a certified mechanic. Once your vehicle has successfully completed the inspection, the mechanic will supply you with an Out of Province Inspection Certificate. This form is only valid for 14 days and needs to be updated on the Motor Vehicle System within that timeframe. Please visit our office to update the inspection or to register the vehicle.
    Please note:
    Failure to update the inspection within 14 days will require a NEW Out of Province Inspection Certificate. ANY changes/corrections made on the form Out of Province Inspection Certificate require a NEW form from the mechanic.
  3. Obtain Alberta Insurance
    Please arrange for your Alberta Insurance. You may find that insurance prices vary, so we advise obtaining multiple quotes before deciding.

You will require:

  1. Proof of Insurance – Pink Liability Card
  2. Out of Province Inspection Certificate dated within 14 days
  3. Proof of Identification
  4. Proof of Ownership - if the Bill of Sale or previous registration is listed under more than one name, please ensure that both parties attend our office OR a letter of authorization from the missing party indicating how the vehicle is to be registered is attached to the documentation.

For document translation services please click the following link to be direct to Languages in Motion:
Click Here

© 2024 Rocky Motor Vehicles | Website by EDGE Marketing & Design Inc.